Rolling back my word count

Last night, I wrote some terrible crap that I just couldn’t live with. (This sounds familiar, doesn’t it? I’m a broken record.) While I’m all for terrible crap and have plenty of it in my novel already, this particular crap was taking the story in a direction I didn’t want to go and I didn’t like the way the characters were behaving. I found myself driving to work this morning, scribbling in my notebook with one hand and steering with the other (actually, I was just sitting at a metering light – it wasn’t so dramatic). I frantically rewrote the offensive scenes when I got to work and was able to relax for the rest of the day without obsessing (much more).

In the end,  I nixed one scene entirely and altered another scene slightly. Then I added a new scene to take things in a different direction for a net loss of 75 words. I am still ahead of schedule, so I have the luxury of making these changes, I think, for the greater health of the story. If it had gotten too far off track, I might not have been able to make it to 50,000 without throwing up. Now I hope to forge ahead without doing such massive editing. I know November 30 will be here before I know it.

P.S. I started a new document called “Deleted Scenes” where I am putting anything I take out that might have potential later. It wasn’t that I hated the scene in the Mexican restaurant with the frozen strawberry margaritas; it just came at the wrong time.

Advertisements

Comments are closed.